Friday, January 20, 2012

Winter (Updated)

For future notice, I am writing this at 3:15am on January 20th.. but being as I LOVE to antagonize my other  sock, I posted a teaser, until she comments on it and calls me a smart ass like I know she will, or texts me to tell me I'm a bitch for doing that.. I love her so... But I had to... Any who..

Winter was long for me this year.. at this moment though, I do not wish to discuss it yet... But I will. Just not today. Too much, too long, too many thoughts, feelings...

I am focusing on peace. I wish to keep myself in a state of peace for a little bit longer... So instead...

I post about the weather.

I live in the Pacific Northwest. I LOVE BEING HERE. It's beautiful, its green, lush, and amazing living here. I love the terrain, I love how in the summer we still get rain but its warm, I love that in winter I get to bundle up in a hat and scarf.. I even love how I HATE to be wet unless I am swimming or in the shower and yet I never use an umbrella because I find them a bit more hassle then their worth. To me at least. But I am weird and recently, discovered I'm crazy.. but another time...

Our weather here is often either rain, clouds, or in late June to end of August its beautiful and sunny. This year? Every few years we get snow. I remember in 2008-2009 we got snow.. a few days it stuck around and it was a good 12 inches or so.. growing up I wished for snow days but the trace amounts of snow was only ever enough to make us 2 hours late for school but RARELY did it get canceled.. I am fully aware that most states that actually have snow from October to March every year function as normal, life goes on, and school and work are never pushed to the side for snow..

We have treacherous hills, and our snow is WET... and this year, it was followed by freezing rain, which covered our 6-25+ inches of snow(depending on where in western Washington you are) with a quarter inch of ice. The beauty of it is INCREDIBLE... But its made for no power almost ANYWHERE and the temperatures are still any where from 26-32 degrees... We can handle weather here, but this would be dangerous for any and all.

And in that danger... I have seen SO much beauty... And as soon as I can get my phone to ALLOW me to post pics on my blog, I will. They are gorgeous and incredible and I wish for all of you to see... Even though I have only 2 followers... Haha and one is on my fb and has seen them already! But maybe one day when I'm all grown up I will have a lot of followers and they will go through my archives and see :) it would make me happy!

Bird walk! Back to the beauty.. as I walked home at 2am after work at the bar(before freaking out, I like 5 blocks away currently, its 2am, and there's all this snow and ice and freezing cold temperatures... Who is THAT desperate to rape someone? No one.) The trees are covered in ice.. all fallen over, broken, or weeping like a willow tree. Everywhere there is the sound of snow falling as a branch snaps and plummets to the ground.. sometimes hitting peoples cars or crashing through their windows or houses. The spots of undisturbed snow have iced over with a quarter inch sheet of ice. Amazingly, its safer to stomp through that then walk on the compacted ice. I could also walk in SOME of the slushy streets, but they are also icing over and I find the snow easier... Also the whole walking down the middle of the street thing...

I walked down streets and found what looked like water across a persons lawn.. nope, just the whole thing iced over and the porch light reflecting beautifully... My friend Melissa posted a beautiful picture on fb of a tree completely split in half.. the ice made it split directly down the middle.. beautiful and scary..

Nearly 300,000 people are without power.

Snapped power lines from the branches are all over the place. As previously stayed, we have mild winters. Lots of cloudy days, lots of rain, but never enough snow to cancel school. Homes aren't all built with fire places, many homes I see don't have them.. and to that I think insanity.. they have no heat. Businesses are without power, so they can't sell desperate cold people generators. Others are wishing they had fixed their generators. Everyone hoping to call a friend and say "hey, you have power, can I come keep warm?" Only to discover there's no power there either.

I do understand how many cities and states function perfectly with snow. I do. 200 snow plows to a city. We have 32 last I knew. 32 for the region. That doesn't go far. And it takes TIME. The cities only plow main roads, county roads, never our back streets.

I do truly believe that in the car vs skill debate, skill is what matters, good tires just as much.

The nice thing, we never have more then one snow event a winter. *knocks on wood* so I believe this is it. Good luck to all. Be safe and warm.

Anyways.. Sleep time... <3

*Breezie*

P.S. A lot was updated to this post b cuz I got tired and sleepy! I couldn't not post, due to my teaser post, but I got sleepy and bailed. So now updated!

1 comment:

  1. ur such a jerk sometimes. Not what I was expecting, but it will do. Dont forget to do your photo for the swap... you could also join in for 5 question friday... I linked it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete